Friday, March 26, 2010

Back in the mid-90s, I was an editor at a short-lived and now-forgotten comic book company called Tekno*Comix. Their gimmick was publishing comics created by science fiction personalities, and their premiere title was Leonard Nimoy's Primortals. I wrote eleven issues of that comic, beginning with #3, and it was a great deal of fun - as well as a huge nerdy thrill, since I'd always been a fan of the actor and his portrayal of Spock on Star Trek.

During my tenure as writer of Primortals, we had several phone conversations, and met in person once. Leonard was extremely enthusiastic about the project, gracious, and complimentary of my efforts on the title. Meeting him - and working on his creation - is a high point of my professional career.

Leonard Nimoy turns 79 today. Here's wishing our favorite Vulcan a very happy birthday.

6 comments:

  1. I loved Tekno, Mulkon Empire and Mike Danger were pretty cool too. Shatner just had his birthday recently as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh - I'll be at the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April, and I've been thinking about getting his autograph at that show. Maybe I should track down one of his comics and get him to sign that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. First try didnt work... try posting again...

    I still have my Secret Compartment Tekno ring that they gave out at the Mall of America around here somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Primortals, Mike Danger and Mr. Hero all deserved a better life than Tekno/BIG E was able to give them.

    If I ever hit the lottery, those three titles will become movies. Mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience that must have been Christopher. Thanks for sharing! And happy birthday to Mr. Nimoy--he'll always be Spock Prime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nimoy spoke here in Odessa when they opened the new gym at Odessa College. I was surprised they snagged him to speak. As you might imagine, it was a packed gym, that turned out to see him talk, and was a great treat! Shatner has written Tek World and maybe some other SF novels, has Nimoy? How did he get involved with the Primortals series? Just thought I'd ask, I guess I could track this down on the web somehow, but thought I'd ask.

    ReplyDelete